I was thinking about what better way to leave you before I dart off to Asia than a classic American recipe. Pancake fat stacks of cash is all I need. Or just the pancakes.
These are a couple different recipes.
One is a recipe from my days as a corporate chef at Embassy Suites Hotels, and in fact it was made for Father’s Day, so perfect timing.
This other one is a favorite of mine. It comes out almost like the Korean ho-dduk. It rises but becomes a bit chewy and utterly delicious. Serve it with pure maple syrup from New England or Canada and some good good good Plugra butter just softened.
Then macerate some berries (just drizzle sugar on them in a bowl and let sit for a minute) and top with some powdered sugar.
If you wanna turn that one night stand into a second date, then those are the best pancakes to do the job.
Recipe 1: Honey Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/8 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
2 eggs, large
Nonstick cooking spray or butter, as needed
Yogurt Fruit Topping
4 oz. plain vanilla yogurt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp mint
1/2 seasonal berries
1. For the pancake batter combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir
2. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining pancake ingredients and blend until smooth
3. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, gently stirring
4. Let the ingredients sit for 20 minutes
5. Add a tablespoon of butter or non-stick cooking spray to the pancake griddle
6. Scoop out a small amount of batter and pour onto griddle
7. Cook until done on both sides
8. Repeat until batter is gone
9. For the yogurt fruit topping combine all ingredients and drizzle sauce over pancakes
10. Top pancakes with mint garnish and serve
Recipe 2: Buttermilk Pancakes
4 cups of flour
1oz of sugar
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
3 eggs beaten
4 cups of buttermilk
6 ounces of melted butter
1. Combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
2. Combine all the wet ingredients and mix.
3. Then go for some interracial dating and mix them together.
4. Cook on a medium griddle or non-stick pan with a touch of melted butter till crispy on one side.
5. Do not touch or flip until the whole pancake fluffs up and you get the golden brown ridges on the bottom side. The top part will fluff and start to bubble and you will see a million porous holes. Then flip and cook till crispy on the other side.
6. Move to a plate and do not wait. Eat now. In bed. And tell her she’s beautiful and that you fucking care. Or not…